We konden afgelopen weekend als één van de eersten ter wereld de M3 cabrio tonen. Inmiddels heeft BMW alle informatie vrijgegeven en hebben we een update…
Na de Coupe en de Sedan is de Cabrio de derde variant van de M3. De cabriolet heeft een stalen klapdak (“elektrohydraulisch”) en authentiek “M design” zorgt voor het optische keurmerk. De specs (420 pk en 400 Nm) zijn hetzelfde gebleven, maar er wordt een nieuwe zeventraps transmissie met dubbele koppeling geintroduceerd (M DCG of in het Duits M DKG). Dit systeem zal later ook in de Coupe en Sedan beschikbaar komen.
Hieronder een overview uit het persbericht.
* Third body version of the new BMW M3; high-performance convertible from BMW M GmbH unique in its design and technical features; developed on the basis of the BMW 3 Series Convertible; consistent orientation to the high-performance character typical of BMW M, as with the BMW M3 Coupé and the BMW M3 Saloon. Car concept with a consistent, unique tradition: Fourth generation of both the BMW M3 Convertible and the BMW M3 Coupé.
* Unique combination of outstanding driving dynamics with aesthetic looks, unparalleled experience of open-air motoring and superior everyday driving qualities in that special combination specific to BMW M. Electrohydraulically operated retractable hardtop ensuring supreme performance in the BMW M3 Convertible with nothing but the sky above.
* Authentic BMW M design as the expression of superior drive power; aluminium engine lid with striking powerdome; characteristic front end with large air intakes; powerfully flared wheel arches; specific BMW M interpretation of the classic lines of a BMW Convertible with its dynamically stretched silhouette, low waistline and muscular, low-slung rear end; gill elements in the front side walls; M-specific side sills contoured even more specifically towards the rear of the car as a visual tribute to rear-wheel drive; rear air dam with diffuser optimising the flow of air beneath the car; dual tailpipes typical of BMW M.
* Exclusive driving experience: The unique power and performance of a BMW M3 combined with an incomparably intense experience of the sun and wind unique to a BMW Convertible.
* The BMW M3 Convertible is powered by BMW M’s brand-new V8 displacing 4.0 litres and developing maximum output of 309 kW/420 hp; maximum torque is 400 Nm/295 lb-ft at 3,900 rpm; maximum engine speed 8,400 rpm, optimum muscle and thrust throughout the entire range of engine speed.
* Individual throttle butterflies, variable double-VANOS camshaft control, Brake Energy Regeneration; engine 15 kg lighter than the six-cylinder power unit on the former model. Acceleration to 100 km/h in 5.3 seconds, top speed 250 km/h (155 mph) (limited electronically), average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle 12,9 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 21 mpg imp).
* Manual six-speed gearbox with integrated, temperature-controlled oil cooling; two-plate clutch optimised for mass inertia.
* MDrive for setting and retrieving the driver’s favourite engine control map, suspension and DSC set-up and Servotronic control map as an additional option.
* Brand-new suspension with specific, convertible-based reinforcements in typical M configuration, weight-optimised components and M-specific axle kinematics for a highly dynamic driving experience; forged aluminium track control arms; compound high-performance brake system.
* Optional EDC Electronic Damper Control with three selectable control maps; adaptive damper set-up responding to changes on the road surface and in the driver’s style of motoring; EDC allowing appropriate adjustment to extremely dynamic driving conditions at any time, irrespective of the mode chosen.
* Retractable hardtop in lightweight steel structure; three-piece roof structure with fully automatic opening and closing function; remote control of roof opening function featured as standard; opening time 22 seconds; optimum all-round visibility with hardtop closed thanks to large window areas.
* Body structure with extremely high standard of torsional stiffness; all-round occupant protection by frontal and head/thorax airbags, three-pointinertia-reel seat belts on all seats, belt latch tensioners, belt force limiters and central safety electronics for appropriate control of restraint systems including rollover protection with roll bars moving up automatically behind the rear seats; bi-xenon dual headlights featured as standard, Adaptive Headlights as an option.
* Upgraded, high-class interior with a wide range of customisation options; innovative colour and materials concept; two rear seats with single seat contours; BMW Individual High End audio system with nine-channel amplifier and 16 high-output loudspeakers available as an option; M-specific paintwork and equipment variants.